1) a) I plan to apply in the Academy of Art University, San Francisco, California for a MFA degree in visual effects and animation.
2) I chose this job because that is what has always interested me. I have grown up watching sci-fi visual effects packed movies and I now I want to make the computerized special effects for those movies. This job requires a lot of patience and creativity from the makers side. You need to be good with computers and should know how to integrate real life images or footages with CG objects. I think what qualifies me to get a scholarship is that I have a lot of experience with creating movies and/or small videos with a lot of vfx in them. I, with a peer, created a vfx club in our school where we teach students how to add special effects in their videos. I might not have the best grades, but I think I have good enough grades and experiences to at least qualify for a scholarship.
3) The programs that I have been exposed to in Mr. Zane’s technology class are:
I. WordPress: It is online program that allows you to create your own blog. Students in this class created their own blogs and kept updating them throughout the year with the contents of what we did in our class.
II. Jing: It is a screen capturing software. It allows you to take screen shots, make average quality on-screen videos, and upload them on an online database. We used Jing for taking snapshots of the things we would later use as evidence for our projects in the class.
III. Diigo: It is an online bookmarking program. Unlike the usual browser bookmarking system, using Diigo you can access your bookmarks, highlights, or notes from any computer around the world.
IV. Google Docs: Google docs is a very fast growing collaborating online “Microsoft Office” system. We used Google docs all year long in our technology class. It is a very useful and excellent way for collaborating with your peers. I personally have enjoyed Google docs the most out of all the things we have learned in this class.
V. Prezi: It is on online system that allows students to make interactive presentations, unlike PowerPoint. We have used Prezi in all of our presentation.
4) Advanced Technology has allowed me to use/apply technology in all of my classes. It has showed me that I can use technology to understand/teach a certain concepts from other subjects. I can use technology not only to go on Facebook or play games, but also for spreading a word around, researching about useful topics, having an online education. For example, in one of our projects I made an Iphone app that would help students in studying for their AP Human Geography exams. Students can use technology to download the app and learn about some important geographers. This is also an convenient source because they can just use their Ipod to learn.
5) When I started this class I thought that advanced technology will only be computer programming, learning cool softwares, and making java games. However, throughout the year I have learned that advanced technology is learning the kind of technology skills that stay uniform throughout your life, like research skills. Also to learn the proper technology skills that could help you contribute to the issues going around globally or even in your school.
6) Using Technology to contribute to the people around me, and using effectively applying it wherever beneficially possible.
7) I have used tools like Google Docs to collaborate with my peers in various projects in and outside of class. I have used my research skills to look up convenient and easy solutions for my problems online to solve them.
8) The 4 C’s of 21st century skills are:
I. Creativity: I have sued creativity in designing my projects and presentations throughout the year.
II. Critical Thinking: I have sued critical thinking as an required and beneficial step for every project we have done this year. It included things like citing our sources and brainstorms.
III. Communication: I have communicated with me peers, friends and some teachers to get information for some of my presentations.
IV. Collaboration: I have collaborated with my partners during group projects in the class.
10) I have used my technology skills to accomplish my goals in other classes or things outside of class, for example Google Docs. I have used Google docs in all of my classes, to write notes, for essays, presentations, I even used it to plan a movie me and my peer made. It is very useful as it keeps everything safe and at a secure place.
11) I have used Advanced Technology to create an Iphone app that could helps students with their AP Human Geography class. This way students can download the app and learn about geographers whenever they want. The evidence of this is posted on my Blog.
12) Some of the important skills that I have learned in Advanced Technology are brainstorming, making outlines of your presentations beforehand so that it’s easy for you while you are presenting, organizing all your work at a place that is both convenient and safe so that you can access all your work wherever and whenever you like. For example for a project my friend and I were doing we stored all of our talks, notes, ideas, scripts everything on Google docs. That way we were able to access them from any computer we wanted to, we weren’t bound to bring a special PC to school just for one project.
13) I think I should be awarded this position/job as I have had more experience in this field over my peers, I have a lot of practice in various softwares related to VFX on a PC, I am aware of the 21st century technology skills, and I, along with a peer, started a VFX club after school where we taught students how t add special effects in movies.
14) My mentor in this class was Mr. Zane Dicky. He continuously engages with me and tries to help me to get to a higher standard level of technological usage. He tries to motivate me and guide me towards accomplishing my projects.
15) Upon joining and entering Advanced Technology, honestly speaking, my goal was to learn some new softwares, do some computer programming, and code some java games.
16) When we started the courses of this class, I realized it won’t be anything like what I thought it will be before. After an yearlong of following that course I have developed new goals like learning useful technological skills that would help me to contribute to the world, learning about new ways of collaborating with peers, and developing efficient research and presentation skills.
17) Google Docs was the most useful tool we learned in Advanced Technology and I think this is the tool that will help me a lot throughout my education.
18) My main motivation was to being able to present my topic in a nicely organized, yet still entertaining way. Also getting the chance to self-learn a new software was also very motivating.
19) If I could transport one thing from this class I would transport the concept of letting students pick their own software to self-learn and then research and present to the entire class.
20) To actually find out what to are the people who make VFX in movies called, I used to look at the end credits of every movie hoping I would find the official name of the job. When I finally did, I researched about it online and found what other kinds of jobs are their related to VFX. There are several kinds of positions on which a person can be ig he/she is making vfx for a movie. I also asked a few questions from a person who has actually effect for bog Hollywood movies about what is the job called? How does it work? What are the requirements for this kind of a job?
21) I am very proud of the Iphone app I made in Advanced Technology. It was a thing I have been wanting to do for a very long time, but couldn’t find a proper reason to do it. Having my AP exams nearby and time in Advanced Technology, I made an Iphone app that could help me in AP Human Geography. I have all the evidence that I made the app and snapshots of the final product on my blog.